Swipe left, swipe right, keep scrolling… Yes, ladies and gents, the world of online dating has become a whole different ball game! Gone are the days of emptying your pocket on every attractive stranger in the club to hopefully secure a number at the end of the night.
According to Kaspersky, who surveyed 18,000 people from 27 countries, 87% of them are using (or have used) dating apps. The number is constantly increasing too! With the dating scene becoming so accessible, the typical excuses of ‘being too busy to date’ are thrown out the window.
If you feel too tired to head out, put those comfy clothes on, switch on the laptop and get scrolling!
A lot of people also think online dating has only just come onto the scene. According to Uchicago News though, more than a third of marriages between 2005 and 2012 began online. They also found that the majority of those actually had longer-lasting relationships too.
Marriage breakups through people meeting online were also 1.6% lower than marriage breakups from people who met offline. But is online dating more successful than offline dating? Well, we can at least say it looks promising!
According to Consumer Reports, online dating can produce long-term relationships. In fact, 44% of survey respondents said their online dating experience led to a long-term relationship or even marriage! So if that doesn’t get your hopes up, I don’t know what will!
With that being said, let’s dive into some of the pros and cons for both online and offline dating!
Online dating – a risky game or a thrilling adventure?
So, what’s the deal with online dating? Can you really be as successful online as you are in real life? Is the possibility of being catfished worth the abundance of dating options online? Have a look at the pros and cons below to see if online dating is for you!
- Time Convenience: How many dates have you gone on where it’s been a waste of your time because you didn’t know enough about the person beforehand? With online dating, you have the opportunity to get to know as much about them as you want to. It also gives you a good feeling about whether the date would be successful or not!
- Compatibility: You aren’t stuck getting to know one person at a time… I know it sounds bad but at the same time it sounds good, right? Like speed dating, but without having to do yourself up! You can spend as long as you want getting to know as many people as you like. Until you find the perfect one for you though, you can pick the dating profile that suits you best! And if you don’t like the look of someone, you can just keep on scrolling! Quantity or quality? I’ll let you be the judge of that!
- Wider Playing Field: We aren’t forced to socialize with people local to us, we can venture out to see who is a little further afield. Whether it’s a short drive away or in a completely different country, this is what online dating is all about. A playground with everlasting options!
Still not convinced? Then here’s a couple of more ‘pros’ that may change your mind!
- Hiding That Shyness: I think it’s safe to say we all have those quiet moments especially when meeting someone for the first time. Some people find it difficult to hold a conversation over dinner and drinks. With online dating, however, you don’t have to worry about that! All is done behind a screen after all, and it may be easier to express your feelings or thoughts in writing rather than in person! Sounds easy, doesn’t it? Maybe ‘easier’ would be the better word!
- Not All About Looks: This goes hand-in-hand with the whole personality match and compatibility, that people don’t only go for looks. You may find someone who has similar interests to you, but may not be your normal type, based on looks.
There are many more pros, such as not having to get dressed up for online dating. But let’s not get too carried away! You might be thinking that online dating is the perfect field to play in, but let’s take a look at the darker side of it!
- People often don’t look like their photos: So, we all know filters exist. Getting to know someone before seeing them in person could mean you might be in for a shock on the first date. Maybe they took a photo of their ‘better side’? It may be a good idea to pack your running trainers, just in case!
- Fake profiles (Catfishing): It can be difficult to feel comfortable before actually meeting in person. We’ve all heard of catfishing in online dating and we don’t want to end up as guests on that show! When it comes to catfishing, it’s normal to have doubts in the back of your head that maybe it’s ‘too good to be true’. With that being said, plenty of people get cold feet, preventing them from giving chances to individuals they really like. So make sure to double-check everything before choosing!
- People may be lying about their intentions: This is an important factor to bear in mind when dating online. You may be looking for a long-term relationship or something a bit more serious, where they may just be looking for a friend with benefits, or merely just a bit of attention. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is over time, and also to actually go on a real date with them to find out.
Offline dating – Is the traditional way better?
Where do we start? Are face-to-face actions always genuine? Is it easier to tell in person if someone is being totally honest and loyal? Check out the pros and cons of real-life dating to find out!
- Honesty: It’s harder to fake a genuine connection if you’re in front of a person. You can feel that warm intimacy spark, however, if someone is behind a screen, it can be easier to be less sincere!
- What you see is what you get: No filters, no fake photos, you know who you’re dating and there are no surprises on that first date, well not with the way the person looks anyway!
- Location: With offline dating, you have much higher chances of meeting someone locally, which could save you a lot of time, effort, and money traveling back and forth. Imagine finding that perfect match, who looks great and has an awesome personality, only to find out that they live 500 miles away from you!
Sometimes, the grass grows greener on the other side, but does it? It’s great reading through the pros of each side, but it’s equally important to see where you need to tread carefully!
- Rejection in person: This can be quite painful to accept! I mean, which would you prefer, rejection in person or rejection behind a screen? Which is more embarrassing? I think I know what I would prefer!
- Looks can be deceiving: I think we have all fallen for someone’s looks, but has it always been the best option? Knowing a lot more about someone before worrying about their looks, can be a huge bonus, so meeting in a club or bar isn’t always the best choice!
- Limited playing field: Limited to who you can meet, therefore you may end up settling for someone who isn’t a perfect match for you. Many just rely on family and friend recommendations instead.
So there you have it, the pros and cons of both online dating and offline dating. I think we can all agree that the amount we can do in a few months of offline dating, can be done in a few days with online dating. But ultimately the decision comes down to you!
Additionally, your personality will also be a big factor in which type of dating you prefer. As an example, if you’re an introvert, you would probably favor dating online, before having to meet up in person. On the other hand, if you’re more outgoing and social, you will most likely prefer to meet someone in public.
Whether it’s online or offline dating though, don’t forget that romance is out there and whatever way you decide, we hope you get lucky! And don’t forget…. Stay safe at all times!